City Sites

Delta Cultural Center c1915 (formerly Helena Depot)
Corner of Cherry and Missouri Streets
Refurbished and established as a first class museum which characterizes the culture of the Delta.
Phillips County Courthouse c1914
600 Cherry Street, Helena
Built in 1914 and designed by architect Frank W. Gibb. One of the most attractive courthouses in Arkansas with impressive classical revival style. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Doughboy dedicated July 10, 1927
Corner of Perry & Cherry Streets
Acquisitioned & sponsored by Phillips 
County Memorial Association,  
7-Generals Chap. of United Daughters 
of the Confederacy, & the City of Helena. One of  two Viquesney Doughboys on the National Register of Historic Places.
American Legion Hut c1921 
409 Porter Street, Helena
Rustic style built with cypress logs by World War I veterans.  Listed on the National Historic Register.
Air Force Jet
Next to the Legion Hut
Reportedly T-33 jets were first used for training and then during 
the Korean War as a fighter.  North Korean jets were more
 advanced and most of the T-33's were shot down about as fast 
as the US could send them up.
Merci Boxcar, next to the Legion Hut
Merci Trains were used during WWII to transport 
40 soldiers or 8 horses/mules throughout the European battle zones.  The boxcars were sent by Andre Picard, a French railroad worker & WWII veteran to thank the US for food & supplies sent 
to France & Italy.
Helena Museum c1891
Served as the county library & museum until a new 
library was constructed.  Built in 1928, the museum is 
the oldest public building still being used in the county. 
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Allin House c1858
515 Columbia Street, Helena 
During Reconstruction this house was owned by African-
American Sheriff of Phillips County H. B. Robinson. Formerly
 the family home of John M. Allin the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church and Arkansan Richard Allin.
Altman House c1914
202 Perry Street, Helena
Constructed for Gustave & Estelle Atlman, a unique blend of classical
 revival and the arts and crafts movement.  Listed on the National 
Historic Register.
Chicago Mill Office Building c1920
129 N. Washington Street, West Helena
One story, wood structure designed in Craftsman style distinguished 
by a low, spreading, asphalt-shingle roof that extends out & over the wrap-around front porch. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Coolidge House c1880
820 Perry Street, Helena
A Queen Anne cottage. Listed on the National Register of Historic 
Places.
Denison House c1910
427 Garland Avenue, West Helena
Constructed by the 1st West Helena mayor J.W. Denison. A simple colonial revival style 1-1/2 story 
brick house considered to be the best example of 
the colonial revival style in West Helena. Listed 
on the National Historic Register.
Edwardian Inn c1904
317 Biscoe Street, Helena
The William A. Short family originally lived here after coming to Helena from Mobile, AL. The house serves as a bed and breakfast after being restored
 in 1983. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Estevan Hall c1826
653 Biscoe Street, Helena
Built by Fleetwood & Millinder Hanks.  Union Forces occupied the house during the Civil War. Also the site of the marriage of Helen Keller's grandparents, Charles W. Adams and Lucy Helen Everett.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ewart-Faust House c1920
114 Richmond Hill, West Helena
Locally significant as the best example of a Spanish Revival style residence, one of the few surviving 
historic homes with any degree of integrity and as the best known example of this style.
First Baptist Church
600 Franklin Street, Helena, Arkansas
This church building was built where the original 
Fort Curtis was built by Union Forces.
First Presbyterian Church 
629 Porter Street, Helena, AR 72342 
Architecture indicative of the early part of the 20th Century.
St. Mary’s Catholic Church c1934
123 Columbia Street, Helena
The architect was Charles Eames’ first large commission.  There is a mural by Charles Quest and stained glass created and installed by Emel Frei.
Centennial Baptist Church c1905
Columbia & York Streets, Helena 
This was the home church of Dr. Elias Camp Morris, 1879-1919. Designed by African-American architect Henry James 
Price and recognized as a National Historic Landmark in 2003.
Another view of the Centennial Baptist Church
Temple Beth El c1880
406 Perry Street, Helena
The congregation met in a home on Ohio when it was formed 
in 1867 until construction of this building was completed.  
Donated to the Delta Cultural Center by remaining members
 after it was deconsecrated in 2007.
First United Methodist Church c1914
500 Porter Street, Helena
This building replaces a 1884 structure which was destroyed by fire and is the oldest congregation in Phillips County.
St. John’s Episcopal Church c1916
625 Pecan Street, Helena
Originally a structure was built in 1853 & burned in 1914.  The current building was rebuilt in the same location in 1916.
Another view of St. John's Episcopal Church
Sydney Hornor House c1880
626 Porter Street
Built by Michael Brennan for his family but sold to Sydney Horner in 1882. This house is currently being restored and was originally constructed by Michael Brennan. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Gemmill-Faust House c1920
321 St. Andrews Terrace, West Helena
Another example of a pure Prairie style, 2-1/2 story, wood frame and brick masonry residence. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Keesee House c1902
723 Arkansas Street, Helena
A structure which combines Queen Anne and Colonial Revival style. Listed in 
the National Register of Historic Places.
Foxglove (formerly the West House) c1900
229 Beech Street, Helena
Example of Colonial Revival style with Queen Anne decorative detailing. Built for Mercer 
Elmer West, a prominent banker and businessman.  Sits high on a terrace of Crowley’s
 Ridge. Listed on the National Historic Register.
Magnolia Hill c1900
608 Perry Street, Helena
This Queen Anne style was once the home of Confederate Capt. Charles Moore Sr. Has served as a courthouse, a Presbyterian church during the Depression, and a cadet club during WWII.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Moore-Hornor House c1860
323 Beech Street, Helena
Asymmetrical Greek Revival styled after the newer Victorian style on the East Coast. The main fighting during the Battle of Helena took place directly behind the Moore-Hornor House. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Moore-Horner House at sunrise
Myers House c1920
221 St. Andrews Terrace, West Helena
Excellent example of Craftsman and Prairie styles.  Listed on the National 
Register of Historic Places.
Nelson House c1915
303 St. Andrews Terrace, West Helena
Example of an American Foursquare-type 
house.  Listed on the National Register of 
Historic Places.
Pillow-Thompson House c1894
718 Perry Street, Helena
Built by Jerome Bonaparte Pillow in 1896.  A fine, stunning example of Queen Anne-Victorian style architecture which 
can be enjoyed by visitors & used for local events.  
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Ready House c1910
Beech & McDonough Streets, Helena
A 2-1/2 story brick house designed by Little Rock architect Charles L. 
Thompson for Mr. & Mrs. E.S. Ready. Listed on the National 
Register of Historic Places.
Solomon House & Carriage Square c1925
726 Columbia Street, Helena
This is a restored plantation style house which 
serves as a retail shop with beautiful gardens to explore. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places,
Solomon House Garden c1925
726 Columbia Street, Helena
Tappan-Cunningham House c1892
727 Columbia Street, Helena
A Victorian home built by Major James A. Tappan which serves as a visible reminder of
the Gilded Age in eastern Arkansas. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tappan-Pillow House c1858
717 Poplar Street, Helena
This Greek Revival mansion was headquarters for Union
 troops.  Confederate Brigadier General James C. Tappan
 lived here and was one of seven generals from Helena.
 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Wellford-White House c1910
1015 Perry Street, Helena
Designed by Charles L. Thompson and is an example of the transition 
from Victorian styling to Colonial Revival.  Listed on the National 
Register of Historic Places.
Straub-Keough House, c1900
531 Perry Street, Helena 
Built by William Nicholas Straub. Combines a mix of features from 
the Shingle & Colonial Revival styles. Straub was very involved in the Helena community. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
805 Columbia Street, Helena
Built in 1872 by Samuel Clark Moore.  It is a contributing structure in the Beech Street historic district, but not individually on the National Register because it has been renovated so many times and does not look like the original structure.
Bell House, c1910, Beech Street, Helena, Arkansas
Childhood home of Dr. Pat Bell.  This structure is part of the Beech Street Historic District
 one block from the historic Moore-Hornor house.
Sites to see driving through our city.  Click images to open gallery and get additional information.
Small Business Web Sites by Elaine
Email:  eecdreams@gmail.com

River Reach Park
Entrance to the River Park where you can drive along the river.
Walkway to the river where you might be lucky enough to see a barge go by.
Storm Creek Lake
Beginning of the path that leads to the top of the levee.
Enjoy viewing the Mighty Mississippi atop the levee.
Almost there!
Now sit back and relax.
Helena Levee Walk (Wheelchair Accessible)  
Local Cemetaries 
Beth El Cemetery c1875
Holly Street, Helena, adjoins St. Mary’s Cemetery
Some of the early settlers from Helena are buried at this old, 
well maintained cemetery.  There are many old & new trees, & memorial trees for loved ones.  Some plots pre-date 1863.
Maple Hill Cemetery
Holly Street, Helena
Est. over 161 years ago & has a large, hilly terrain with impressive gravestones of art made from granite & alabaster.  Helena generals Thomas C. Hindman & James A. Tappan are buried in Maple Hill Cemetery.
Magnolia Tree in Maple Hill Cemetary
Pedro - the loyal dog
Located in the Maple Hill Cemetery.  Marks the 
grave of Dr. Emile Overton  Moore.  Recognized in the  Catalog of the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
Confederate Cemetery, Helena
Top of hill in Maple Hill Cemetery 
Contains the graves of many Civil War casualties of the battle of Helena.  General Patrick Cleburne is buried here.
St. Mary’s Cemetery c1875
Holly Street, Helena 
Next to Maple Hill Cemetery
Dixon Cemetery about a mile or so past Maple Hill.  One of the oldest tombstone read 1848.
Thad Kelly Courtyard on Cherry Street 
Levee Wall
Levee Mural - Cherry Street
From Plaza Street in West Helena, turn onto North 4th Street.  Follow this street until
 you see the entrance to St. Francis Scenic Byway and turn right.  Follow the road until
 you see the lake.
Wheelchair accessible fishing dock
Fish or swim
Picnic area and restrooms